Accomplishments:
-Sitting up until way too late having beer and discussing the world with my cousin.
-Allowing myself a snack that was always my standard for road trips as a kid, but that I haven't had in a while.
-Not overcompensating for missed exercise sessions.
-Having extra energy to help my grandparents out. We went to an event on Saturday that was mostly outside, with performers underneath big tents. There was one that my grandmother really had her heart set on, but she moves very slowly and by the time we got there every.single.seat. in sight was taken. I roamed around, up and down, for about 10 minutes, and there was not a chair to be had. So I ran down to the next tent, two blocks over, grabbed three chairs for us, hauled them back, and wheedled my way up front to plant them in the very first row, so that my grandfather could hear and my grandmother could see (their senses, or lackthereof, are complementary at least). All they could talk about for the rest of the day was how happy they were to see me barging down the street with those chairs in tow, and it was probably the best I have felt about myself in a very, very long time. There are not many times when I actually feel proud of myself, you know. I can think of almost no examples. My grandparents and I are extremely close, and lately they have started looking older and older every time I see them. They helped to raise me, after my mom and I had to run away from my biological father, and I always knew they would do anything and everything they could for me. Now the roles are reversed, and I have to say that being able to take care of them, and to have the energy to put forth when they need something, makes me very, very proud.
I have attended this event with them almost every year since I was a kid, and I can remember so many times, starting in middle school, when it took every scrap of energy and willpower that I had just to make it through the day without collapsing. All I could do was muddle through the day in a hypoglycemic haze, mostly tuned out to the performers because my mind was alternating between calculating calories and counting minutes until I could get back into the car for a rest. This weekend was such a refreshing contrast, it really gave me a lot to think about and was a motivation-booster for staying on track and not letting myself slip back into such a disconnected, miserable state.
I tend to stress over quantitative things, even in recovery: grams, pounds, calories, BMI, minutes of exercise, etc. This weekend was a reminder that although the metrics may be a means to an end, the end in itself has got to be about regaining the qualitative things that make it all worthwhile.
8 comments:
"There are not many times when I actually feel proud of myself, you know."
I want to ask why, but I know how hard it can be, even when someone else piles up your accomplishments for you. But you ARE quite an accomplished person and I feel that letting yourself be proud would be a good thing.
I'm glad Saturday was a victory for you. Grandparents are kind of awesome.
And was the road snack hot fries? That was always my go-to.
PB and chocolate Chex mix. Perfect driving food because all the different little pieces make it last a long time and are interesting enough to stave off drowsiness.
Mmmm.. PB and Chocolate Chex Mix!
I'm so happy for you that you were able to feel truly alive and helpful and proud this weekend. Keep this memory close to your heart. Really good job challenging yourself lately. You seem so committed to moving forward and you seem to always do so at a pace that is just right for you. I wish I could do that too.
Be proud Cammy! you did great! (why is it so easy to be ashamed, selfconsciuos or underestimate oneself, and being proud is so difficult?)
Actually I think your grandparents will speak or think about it for a LONG TIME:) I hav now only one grandmother, she's 82 and still very busy working lady who visit congesses all arounf the world but sometimes I see how she gets smaller and walks slower and how she battles it. I like time spent with her so much.
C, after how hard this new school year has been for you, I'm so glad you were given this "gift" to be with family and to remember why recovery is so damn worth it. I can just imagine you hauling chairs around like you owned the place, and it makes me smile, and also makes me happy for you. :)
Wow, Cammy, sounds like you had a great time! I'm impressed with (and encouraged by) the accomplishments :) I'm also so touched by you hauling chairs for your grandparents ;) I love those moments of feeling truly alive and a little more free from the ED.
Awesome post! Thats so great that you were able to have the energy to not only help your grandparents out, but to enjoy yourself as well. It's nice to be reminded that recovery is not all pain and work, but happy times also :)
Beautiful post! This touched me a lot. I hope you can only continue to receive the qualitative rewards as you push forward in your recovery. (BTW, I love that you wrote this like a researcher and used "quantitative" and "qualitative" as your terms.)
Post a Comment