But I actually did keep that promise this year. Yesterday was the first birthday in many years on which I have not ended up in tears of frustration at some point during the day. I didn't have a big fantastic celebration, but I did feel worlds calmer and more centered than I had in years past.
I don't think it had anything to do with my birthday, actually, I think we just tend to be more aware of ourselves on milestone days. I am still definitely a work in progress with recovery, but yesterday was really an eye-opener for me, as I contrasted the State of Cammy with previous years and contemplated how truly miserable and stressed I used to keep myself, day in and day out, for years and years.
So, kind of a low key birthday, but that was fine. Match works on Fridays, so he took me out to dinner on Thursday night. He also wished me a happy birthday through about 5 different media on Friday (woot for modern technology). I got lots of calls/messages on my birthday, my adviser treated me to Starbucks, I attended a fascinating talk on campus and then had a couple of drinks with my new crew of friends down here. Again, not a rockstar scale party, but I am not that type of person, so the low key day suited me just fine.
I guess I just wanted to report on that, milestones like birthdays are good times to reflect on where we've been or where we're going. I got some nice presents, but I think the best one was the one I gave myself: just spending the day feeling alive.
11 comments:
Happy birthday! Glad you had a good one. (=
I'm so glad that you were able to keep this promise to yourself.
Personally I think that there is something meaningful about birthdays since they are a celebration of our time spent alive, which is basically the antithesis of life with an eating disorder.
Happy Birthday! It is wonderful that you had a happy one :-)
Happy Birthday! Glad it was better for! Hope it's even better next year!
Happy birthday, Cammy. I'm glad it was calmer and better than last year. Here's to many more birthdays to come that are even better! I'm an October birthday as well. :) Mine was the 13th. Hope this year is a good one for you.
This post made me so happy for you! It sounds like you have definitely made some progress! It's so nice to look back and think "wow look how far I've come".
Congrats and happy birthday!
You're wonderful! I am sooo (97%) happy and (3%) jealous:) It seems your life is becomming alive. And Match seems to be really nice person. Happy birthday Cammy, you deserve to be happy and I wish you even happier next birthday!
Happy Birthday! I'm so happy you were able to be kind to yourself and ENJOY your day this year! Your posts really do increasingly sound like you're becoming more and more comfortable with yourself. High five!
Happy birthday!! I've had weird birthdays the past several years. I get melancholy. It's good to CELEBRATE though (and to feel worthy of that celebration). I'm glad you had a good one!!
Happy birthday :)
WHOOHOO!!!! This made me smile. I love the "5 different mediums" approach to wishing you happy birthday. If you're still together next year, tell him that you expect a radio shout out, a billboard, and a message written in the sky by a trick pilot, because he needs to top himself.
Happy Birthday! Sorry, I'm late on this, I knew it was around the corner.
So glad to hear that you kept your promise and had a good, low key, kind of time.
It's small steps.
Post a Comment