I went by to pick up my bone density scan results today. I was already a little irked, since my scans were done about a month ago, they told me they'd call when they were ready later that week, and then I heard nothing. I got tired of waiting and dealing with their automated phone menu, so I finally just drove out there to get the printout today.
My irritation increased when I saw the coversheet for my scan results, which featured a brief patient profile. I quote:
"22 yo female, 5'7", X lbs. Results significant osteopenia. This woman is suspected of anorexia."
This Woman wonders who the hell handled the file, because This Woman gave her medical history, including ED diagnosis, duration, details of weight cycles year by year, and copies of previous bone scans, to not one but two different nurses prior to have a scan done by This Doctor. And if This Doctor suspects This Woman of a life-threatening mental disorder, This Woman is puzzled as to why the staff not only did not suggest tips for addressing bone health during ED recovery, but basically sat on the results without contacting her until she showed up on their doorstep over a month after she was told they would send her the information. This Woman thinks This Doctor is "suspected of" being a dumbass.
Ok, needed to rant. On the upside, the density in my hips/lower spine has increased since my last scan (which was in fall of 2006). Woot for the human body, which can be very forgiving when it so chooses.
It also illustrates that all the calcium supplements in the world (I have taken them religiously every day for years and years) can't substititue for the restorative effect that weight restoration can have on your bones (technically I'm not in the normal weight/BMI range yet, but I have gained a good amount over the last year and a half). I actually take less calcium now than I used to because my dietitian said I was taking so much it put me at risk for stones, but it took adding poundage to get me out of the osteoporosis zone. I would imagine that when the Monthly Friend finally starts visiting, the hormones will be another booster, maybe enough to get me out of the osteopenia zone.
This Woman was very glad to finally see a set of numbers that makes her feel proud.
8 comments:
Yeah to progress on bone density, nay to dumbass doctor. Cammy, you seem to get the worst lot. I can only imagine how frustrating that is.
Do you think it is a "south" thing? Just kidding, as that would be totally bias anyway.
Keep working at this. Those numbers can get better. I've seen it happen, even it required a miracle, but it can.
For the record, this post showed up on my google reader at 10:07 PM EST
Man, the medical world often disappoints, huh? They are so clueless and insensitive sometimes! I'm happy to hear you've gained back some bone though. I was always told that wasn't possible, but I've seen that it is with my own scans (though I haven't had one done in years). Congrats :) Also, your post about J. was very touching. I'm sure you'll really miss him. It's hard to get close to people like that, and let go. You guys will stay close, I'm sure.
Wow. Doctors have to go to school for HOW long again? In any case, I share your amazement with the human body - it can do some pretty incredible things.
I just read the post about J. I'm sending you mental hugs from my corner of Ohio.
I guess, in retrospect, at least he mentioned the AN, whereas some doctors are oblivious to warning signs. He obviously didn't read the case history, though.
And thanks for indulging my thirst for data, Tiptoe. :) Looks like ~2 hr delay.
It is geat you bone density is increasing!
Do you think the fact they didn´t send you the scan is associated to this !suspection of anorexia"?
I don´t want to advocate this doctor in any case (I am usually bit ashamed when someone has such expirience with doctors, because I want to be "one of them") but is it possible that the scan was described by another doctor who don´t know your history? Hospitals are sometimes such a mess.
However, I think the author of "This Diagnosis" could compete in moronism with one paricular lady you´ve written about.
That is awesome (the progress, not the idiocy.) My guess is that Ola was right and a different doctor read the scan, and your dr. was going to present the results to you. Still, I applaud you for your progress!!
Congrats to you on seeing through the thinly veneered wall of ignorance.
Seriously - that takes a healthy set of recovery lenses to see.
Just had to chime in again...great fuel for my video!
Post a Comment