Three more friends ended up joining us, but I didn't mind, it was nice to have a group. (Just for the record, J. and I are not an official couple, I have gone out of my way to ensure we haven't advanced far beyond "close friends"). The restaurant doesn't have nutrition info on their website, but they do have a menu, so I had already planned what I was going to order, to avoid agonizing and taking forever when we got there.
I'm going to break my rule about not discussing specific foods, I guess, or else I won't be able to explain the situation which much precision. I was going to to get the Hawaiian mahi mahi burger, seemed reasonable. I ordered that, proud of myself for being decisive, etc etc. But then when they brought it out, it wasn't at all what I expected. I had anticipated a grilled cut of mahi mahi on a bun, but it was actually a processed, breaded and fried fillet. I knew I could eat it and still probably not pass my usual alotted lunch calories (have I mentioned how ginormous my meal plan is? Feels that way, at leaset), but just the fact that it was not what I had planned really threw me off kilter and I couldn't eat it. Normally I would have sent it back for something else, but I didn't want to risk making us late for the movie after lunch. Fortunately, I had ordered a side salad as an extra, so at least I had something to pick at and didn't just sit there not eating anything at all.
Poor J. tried so hard to be helpful, which just made me feel worse. He had ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and offered to trade with me, but 1) I felt dumb and self-conscious about doing that in front of everyone and 2) he has IBS and I was afraid the greasy fish burger would make him sick.
So, food challenge failed.
Movie was decent, at least. They changed the ending of Angels & Demons, but still did a much better job than the movie version of The DaVinci Code. I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have, though, because my lunch had been thrown off and my mind was racing over if/when/how I should compensate for it later in the afternoon.
Yay for Cammy, the awkward turtle incarnate.
More thoughts on J. soon.
(Continuing to test blog feed lag time, submitting this at 23:34 CDT, testing to compare that to time stamp when it shows up in my Google Reader list. Just checking because I think Blogger has been lazy and slow this week.)
3 comments:
don't worry, when you're struggling with an illness that's all about control it's only natural that you were a little thrown when something unexpected came out. it still happens to me, and i've been recovering for a LONG time!
i've been reading your blog for a while, and it has really helped me struggle through things, thank you and take care.
I HATE it when that happens!!! But I am WAY impressed that you still managed to hold it together. I have literally cried huge, gasping sobs at restaurants when things come out "wrong." (i.e. not how I expected them.) My family has gotten used to "translating" for me to our stunned waiter/waitresses. "There's nothing wrong, she just didn't want it fried" or "this was a little much for her, she has some social issues." I got used to just going and sitting in the car without eating, then I got comfortable just sitting at the restaurant or wiping away my tears in the bathroom, then I started asking for the dish the way I wanted it or ordering something else. I've made so much progress that most of the time I can just eat it now. Keep working on it--I am so thrilled to hear how it went!!
ah, I know how hard it is when your plans go out of whack. I definitely would have freaked out at a deep-fried fish filet, too. Don't be too hard on yourself. There is always tomorrow. This time, you learned something: sometimes things don't go as planned, and you can be more prepared more future "surprises." next time, even when you're surprised, you can maybe still enjoy a few bites!
Post a Comment