Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Hot Conversation

[I started this last night but dozed off, so all "today" references mean Monday]

It was COLD today.  Definitely the first real day of BRRR weather.  I have mentioned before that one big benefit to recovery is slightly less risk of spontaneously crystallizing and shattering from being cold ALL THE TIME.  I still hate cold, but I have noticed that my system is more robust and I'm not as susceptible to it as I have been in the past.

Apparently, I'm not the only one that has noticed the change.  J. and I were walking across campus today and I griped about the cold wind, and he mentioned that he was surprised I just had a sweatshirt instead of "The Blue Bubble" (his mocking term for my winter coat, this ultra-thick blue down jacket that is artic-rated; it makes me look like the a cross between a Smurf and the Michelin Man.  I could get hit by a bus in that thing and I'd just bounce.  It's super thick and bulky, but honsetly, bending your elbows is highly over-rated).  That led to a conversation that I had to share, I'd give anything to have the scene on video.  I could submit it for the next David Attenborough special, the Flirtation Rituals of Scientists in Their Natural Habitat.  Sans video, though, I guess I'll just post it here.  Poor J. 

C: BRRR.  This weather is uncalled for.
J: We're gonna need to find a new way to insulate you, winter really hasn't even started yet.
C: I think I'm going to handle the weather better this year.  
J: You're without the Bubble today, trying to build up tolerance?
C: Yeah well, hypothermia is so last year, the new trend is nonshivering thermogenesis, haven't you heard?
J: Ah, I think I rememberParis Hilton mention that in an interview recently.
C: Yup, metabolisms are sexy.
J: [Slips off curb and does an uber-ungraceful arm-waving thing to keep from sprawling in the street.  And fails.]
C: Obviously your buddy Paris didn't tell you that gravity is "in" every season, J, and apparently it doesn't like you.
J:  Isaac Newton has had it in for me ever since I got a C on that physics mid-term...

1 comment:

Tiptoe said...

I can just imagine this conversation with you and J. so well. I can't seem to get out of my mind your "blue bubble," but I do know what you are talking about.

And that ungraceful fall, so gravity there. Hopefully, J. got a chuckle and wasn't too hurt from falling. Those curbs can be evil.