Observations, musings, and general ramblings on the path towards recovery from anorexia.
Sunday, September 6, 2015
Hornbacher at This is My Brave
Updates on my real, currently-being-upended life soon.
In the meantime, this clip of Marya Hornbacher at a This is My Brave event is must-watch material for the weekend. I know Hornbacher is pretty controversial amongst EDers; that might be an interesting post at some point when I have the energy.
I do have a lot of thoughts about Marya Hornbacher and her role/position with regards to EDs and mental illness and general...but mostly I think she is just a fantastic writer. I've read Wasted about five times (not for a long time, interestingly...) but I actually liked her second memoir Madness much better. It's been a while though
Yeah I actually just read Madness this year. I've read Wasted about 3-4 times, usually right before a big relapse, but I think I'm more drawn to those kinds of books when I'm already slipping, so I can't blame her writing persay . . . I think it's more of a symptom than a trigger for me. I read a really interesting quote by her one time about how she feels about writing Wasted, knowing it became an ED manual for so many people. I'll try to dig that up.
I read part of Wasted and was so triggered by it that I needed to put it down and focus on staying motivated for recovery. This was an interesting talk to watch--thanks for posting it! I do have some thoughts also about her in the mental health community, but best left for another day. Take care, dear!
3 comments:
I do have a lot of thoughts about Marya Hornbacher and her role/position with regards to EDs and mental illness and general...but mostly I think she is just a fantastic writer. I've read Wasted about five times (not for a long time, interestingly...) but I actually liked her second memoir Madness much better. It's been a while though
Yeah I actually just read Madness this year. I've read Wasted about 3-4 times, usually right before a big relapse, but I think I'm more drawn to those kinds of books when I'm already slipping, so I can't blame her writing persay . . . I think it's more of a symptom than a trigger for me. I read a really interesting quote by her one time about how she feels about writing Wasted, knowing it became an ED manual for so many people. I'll try to dig that up.
I read part of Wasted and was so triggered by it that I needed to put it down and focus on staying motivated for recovery. This was an interesting talk to watch--thanks for posting it! I do have some thoughts also about her in the mental health community, but best left for another day. Take care, dear!
Post a Comment