Of possible interest: How Exercise Can Prime the Brain for Addiction, New York Times Well Blog
I'm heading out for this month's Match Weekend in a couple of hours. I'm feeling a little stressed about making this a good visit, since it's the last time we'll see each other before I go off on another tropical research trip in May. I've had an awesome week, but he's had a terrible one, and so it's sort of weird right now. We hadn't had a real fight at all since the last visit, but we've been touchy and bickery this morning. Because of course that's the best way to show your loved on that you appreciate them driving 8 hours to come see you tonight. :s Just want it to go well.
Quick update on my last D. appointment: At a previous session, she had asked if I thought it would be helpful to see food records from other women my age that were eating to maintain their weight. I thought it would, since I've been disconnected from normalcy for so long that I haven't a clue. I've restored weight but my food habits can still be a bit weird. So she showed me samples from 3 clients...and honestly it was pretty triggering. None of them had calories counted, just lists of food, and without knowing how much of each thing they were eating I immediately assumed small sizes and felt awful that I eat so much more than these people (despite the fact that 2 of the 3 are not allowed to exercise at all right now and I'm still doing too much of that). I think D. hadn't anticipated that and she felt bad, so we were both kind of unhappy with how that turned out. Oh well. The rest of the session was okay. I know I need the boot in the ass, but sometimes I wish she'd give me a little bit of a benefit of the doubt on some things. I guess that's not her job.
I hope everyone has a great weekend, love y'all.
3 comments:
I had actually made a mental note to send you that very same article, but I guess you already read it!
Hmm that's really interesting about the other food records. I sometimes creepily try to estimate how much other people eat, because it's impossible for me to understand how people can eat without counting calories and still maintain weight. Were these food records written out by other ED patients? In that case they might not be a great gauge of "normalcy," although I guess they were D-approved.
Hope you have a good weekend with Match to cap off a great week! and congrats again :)
She said all of the clients were about my age, "in recovery" and on plans to maintain at a healthy weight. When I got really uncomfortable and told her I thought I ate more than that, she told me how many calories each of them were on plans for (all more than what I consume in a day), but I had a hard time believing that from the records. Then again, there were no calorie tallies and few serving sizes on the records.
Sorry the D appointment didn't go overly well, that definitely sounds uncomfortable. It seems like there's a weird disconnect between what I see and estimate, and what reality is when I'm looking at someone else's food situation. Just a thought. I think it's part of my ED distortions that cause that. I hope you have a safe trip and a great weekend!
Post a Comment