Monday, October 10, 2011

A Weekend in Two Acts

Well I started a post over the weekend and didn't have time to finish/post it, so you get a time series here.

Written on Saturday afternoon:

I'm at Match's right now (actually sitting in his office, where he's trying to blast through grading the avalanche of tests his adviser dumped into his lap at the last minute on Friday), and the visit is going well, although we're getting less time together than on a usual trip, partly because of his work and partly because I flew in on a Thursday instead of a Wednesday.

To be completely honest, his workload has benefited us to some degree because it means I can go get some exercise in at the campus rec center and come back de-anxiefied without feeling guilty for ditching him for the gym.  

That also means that eating has been easier, although not completely as easy as I'd like, which frustrates me. For example, I got a pretty lengthy workout in yesterday and so *should* have been able to have a very  normal lunch out, but when it came to ordering I just got overwhelmed and defaulted to the fucking grilled chicken salad, which I loathe but nearly inevitably turn to anyway. Stockholm syndrome, I suppose.  Going to try harder to branch out tonight and tomorrow.

....cut to today:
Well I flew home this morning.  Back to real life. :(  I had a great weekend with Match.  It was probably the best I've done with my eating on any trip with him, although I have to admit that's almost entirely due to the gym time I got in while he was working.  He felt awful about having to spend some time in the office every morning, but in all honesty I was really glad for the chance to get my workout anxiety out so I could just focus on enjoying him for the rest of the day.  Having that leeway also gave me a taste (no pun intended) of how nice it is to just feel normal sometimes.  To let my boyfriend treat me to a Frappuccino on a sunny afternoon (run, do not walk, to get a Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino, most perfect Starbucks drink EVER in my humble opinion), take a picnic to the zoo, have a movie night that involves pizza and getting tipsy on too much wine.  I know everything is not about food, and honestly for me the meaningful thing is just enjoying my best friend, but not being so painfully uptight about everything that goes into my mouth is just such.a.fucking.relief.

If I could just get to the point where I didn't have to slave at the gym for part of the day to reach that state.  Oh well.  I do think I'm handling it better and better each go-round.

In other news, we tried to start watching Boardwalk Empire, because it's gotten so much good hype.  I actually got terrible nightmares from it, though, because there are so many domestic violence scenes with screaming kids in the background, and basically most of my earliest memories are of being that screaming kid.  Probably won't be watching any more of it.

Oh and I managed to slightly mangle my finger in a kitchen mishap.  Oops.  Apples are not designed to be cut with steak knives, especially if your hands are slippery! I don't if I'd ever seen true terror until I saw Match's face when he walked in and saw me bleeding all over his kitchen.  Oops.

So I guess that's the trip recap. Despite the nightmares and finger casualties, it was a great weekend, LOL.  All joking aside, I had a great time. It was a shorter visit for us than usual and we have a longer than usual gap before our next one (over 40 days; I swear we do the equivalent of Lent like 5 times a year). That makes me kind of nervous, but I'm sure it'll be fine...I was really worried about the Us issue last week, and I think the visit assuaged a lot of that, fortunately.  

1 comment:

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I agree about the salted caramel mocha! I haven't tried the frapp but the hot one is AMAZING.

I am so glad that you had a great second day. Getting out of a routine can be really hard for people like us and I think the second act is what really counts. Just focus in the future on making the amount of time it takes to switch to "vacation mode" shorter and shorter, and maybe that will help?

I hope your finger is okay!

I love your dry observations...especially the iPhone 4 one. Good grief! Do you have a smartphone?