Randoms:
-Apparently CVS, Target, and other stores are trying to dress up as Christmas for Halloween. Premature holiday hype ruins the specialness of the season!
-I am amused by the fact that nearly ZERO of the news coverage of the iPhone 4S has mentioned price, beyond the fact that the 3 and 4 versions have been discounted. It seems like Apple has passed the threshold of being a consumer decision and is just considered an assumed necessity. And yes I want a 4S BADLY.
-In case you didn't know, Breaking Bad is on Netflix streaming now. It's one of the few shows I actually have the urge to watch all over again from the beginning.
-I've had this sudden crazy idea about a way to expand my career horizons a bit, and am currently obsessed by exploring the options...it would involve doing another degree in parallel with my PhD in science, but I bet that if I could get enough tuition money and caffeine from somewhere I could pull it off...we'll see.
-Just made an appointment to go skydiving for my upcoming 25th birthday. Not sure if I've mentioned this but I am a TOTAL adrenaline junkie (I have been known to ride vicious roller coasters 3-4 times in a row) and I'm super excited.
-I am glad Chris Christie is off of the GOP nomination radar now just because I was sick to death of hearing all the fat jokes being batted around. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up as VP on the ticket in the general election, but I hope at that point people will be more focused on actual substance versus surface. Pipe dream, I know.
-My adviser is beyond useless this semester, to the point that he jokes about it but doesn't really seem to do anything to reverse the trend. Just 8 months til I blow out of this place.
-Applying to grad school is EXPENSIVE, yo. At $23 per GRE score report, about $10 per transcript (I have to request those from 4 different schools), and a $60-120 application fee for each institution, I feel like I need student loans just to get in.
-I always seem to have a sort of self-confidence afterglow following a visit with M., and have been feeling really good this week.
-The week is halfway over! Happy Wednesday. Love y'all.
4 comments:
I like that you have increased self-confidence after a Match weekend. I think it shows that he's a positive in your life. Years ago a lady I knew said that (for her) partnership/marriage etc is only relevant if it helps each of the persons in the relationship to do more then if they were apart and it definitely seems to be the case with you and Match!
It's also a great time to be writing applications. I really hope that you get a FANTASTIC supervisor and that you're able to go to your first preference of University to complete your PhD.
I know the system in Australia is different to the US (my mum started her doctorate in the US) but HERE it is possible for a very small number of people to do a PhD and at the same time as doing a Masters. I figure if it's possible here, it is probably possible there. I would also think that there perhaps there might be scholarships that look at both? I guess that is probably irrelavant as you have probably looked but just in case you haven't perhaps you should!! Another alternative is if your PhD university allowed you to do a Masters via distance education from an overseas university and maybe there is an international scholarship to cover those costs? I don't know lotsa thinking, really you know what you want etc and I don't so just throwing out suggestions!
Thankfully we don't have to pay for application to grad schools here, very thankful about that!
Good luck! I look forward to hearing how you go.
Always Telly
Im freaking out over the cost of applying, too. 2 years ago I applied for 9 schools... what in the world, where did I get that money? This round I'm going to have to narrow it down and keep my fingers crossed.
Skydiving?! You are brave! I'm a massive chicken when it comes to things like that. I'm hoping there will be pictures on Facebook at some point ;)
I completed a PhD in a science field and a MM in piano performance at the same time. I did well in both (publishing papers and playing recitals!) but absolutely had no life. No friends, no fun, no down time, no food, just excessive exercise. What are the costs and benefits to doing two degrees? Also, what about funding? My fellowship begrudgingly paid for both degrees, but after I left, put credit limits on courses outside the department
I've read your blog for a while and see so much of myself in you. Would you like to hear my story of life after grad school? If you don't get a handle on ED stuff NOW, you will crash and burn when you start your professional life. It's a question of when, not if.
I'm really not being a pessimist, but I would like to share my story and would hope it would help you in some small way.
-Barbara
Post a Comment