Friday, February 4, 2011

Recovery Soundtrack: Update

Once upon a time near the beginning of this blog, I posted my "Recovery Soundtrack", which I'd done as therapy homework.  I've kept it around, adding to it gradually, so I thought I'd post the updated version.  There are several different distinct types of songs.  Some are about feeling a bit hopeless but acknowledging there's a problem.  Some about starting to make changes, how it's tough but necessary.  Some are just confidence boosters, some are about how much potential there is waiting for us out in the world when we are free of whatever holds us back.  I'm sure all of them won't touch everyone (they're never all relevant to me at a given time, depends on mood and circumstances), but there's a pretty good variety and hopefully there's at least something here most people will connect with.

Changes  -3 Doors Down
It's the Only One You've Got  -3 Doors Down
Sober   -P!nk
Girl America    -Mat Kearney
Show Me Love   -Robyn
Unwritten   -Natasha Bedingfield
How Far We've Come   -Matchbox 20
Wasted   -Carrie Underwood
Jumper   -Third Eye Blind
Bleed Like Me   -Garbage
F**kin' Perfect   -P!nk
The Voice Within    -Christina Aguilera
Can't Break Her Fall   -Mat Kearney
Change   -Taylor Swift
Beautiful   -Christina Aguilera
Baby Seat   -Barenaked Ladies
Baby Got Back   -Sir Mix A Lot
The Reckoning  -Bryson VanCleve
Mirrow   -BarlowGirl
Living in Pain   -2Pac, Mary J. Blige
Change Your Mind   -Sister Hazel
Courage   -Superchick
Tied Together with a Smile   -Taylor Swift  (I read somewhere that she specifically wrote this song about a friend with an ED, by the way)
What a Scene   -Goo Goo Dolls
Just Like a Pill   -P!nk
Sympathy   -Goo Goo Dolls
All in All   -Lifehouse
Disturbia   -Rihanna
We Are   -Ana
Ordinary   -Train
Sophie   -Eleanor McEvoy
Feel   -Matchbox Twenty
Beauty from Pain   -Superchick
It's My Life   -Bon Jovi
Somebody I Once New   -Dead Celebrity Status
Unpretty   -TLC
Dear Friend   -Stacie Orrico

Also, pretty much the entire 'Away from the Sun' album by 3 Doors Down hits home every time for me.  Has been the source of much Car Crying over the years.

I'm always adding and looking for more good songs, so anyone care to share?  Do you have any favorites you listen to for motivation or just when you're having a hard time and need to feel like you're not alone and hopeless?

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Ana's Song ( Open Fire ) by Silverchair I think is amazing

so is "the tower" by vienna teng

"Closer to love" Matt Kearney

"I hope you dance"- Leeann Womak

"Everybody's fool" Evanescence

those are some on my list :)

Unknown said...

I'm Alive and Well by Kenny Chesney and DMB.

Great list!

Audrey said...

I love your playlist - lots of my favorites too.

Random question: I also have a blog and running playlist - lots of the songs I run to are either inspirational to me, or they really "hit-home", pump me up, good stuff. Anyways, I had some people in my life who are not exactly supportive of my recovery, really blast my music choices - to the point that the say, "I'm turningn people away from God" - "I'm a poor example" etc. crappy, nasty stuff.

So... I'm trying to block those people from reading my blog and I was wondering if any of you know how to do that. I'm sure you understand the importance of avoiding, "hurtful, triggering" people in recovery and so that's what I'm trying to do. I'd love help if you have any ideas.

thanks so much. I love your blog, your honesty and your songs!

Cammy said...

Thanks for the song suggestions!

Audrey: I don't know of a way to block specific people. Do you use Blogger? From what I understand, you can either restrict it to people you approve (set to private), or restrict it only to people who have profiles links to their own blogs (no anonymous commenters). Do you moderate your comments? Doesn't keep mean ones from hurting your feelings, but does keep from the embarrassment of having them posted. I moderate, although the mean readers haven't found me and the only ones I don't publish are the obvious spam.

Really, really sorry to hear that you're getting some hurtful comments. Hang in there and keep your head high, you are an amazing and insightful person. Take care.

Charlotte said...

Have you seen the video for P!nk's F*ckin perfect? SO GOOD. I cried. Seriously, I did. Love your list.

Audrey said...

Cammy,
Thanks for the info. I"ll see what I can do. I've been messing around with the privacy settings. Thanks for your encouragement!

p.s. I cried my eyes out when I listened to Pink's song too

Katie said...

I am a bit of an indie girl usually, but I have to admit, I listened to "Survivor" by Destiny's Child a lot while I was in recovery ;) I have a soft spot for that song!

Dramadumpster said...

- Fix You by Coldplay goes right to the core!
- James Morrison: 'Wonderful World' and 'This Boy'
- John Frusciante's 'The Past Recedes'
- The Beatles 'Hey Jude', 'Here comes the sun' and 'Let it be'
- John Mayer 'Who Says'

I could go on and on and on but I'll keep it at this.

Anonymous said...

Lifeline - Mat Kearney
Pretty much all Mat, really. If you ever have a chance to see him live, do it. Swoon.

Be OK - Ingrid Michaelson

Underappreciated - Christina Aguilera

Beautiful Day - U2

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - U2
I love U2.

Bad Day - Daniel Powter

I've got to look at my iTunes, these are just a few off the top of my head. I have a "Life's a Bitch" playlist with all sorts of good stuff that's motivational, inspiring, screw the world, angry, everything that brings up emotion, even humor (Galaxy Song - Monty Python).

Eden said...

I don't have the patience to compile a playlist, but generally, any beatles music makes me feel better about myself.

Tiptoe said...

I kind of like that new song by Florence + Machine "Dog Days are Gone." It's very upbeat, about finding happiness.

A few others I like:
"Show me what I'm looking for" by the Carolina Liar
"Lose Yourself' by Eminem
"Closer to Fine" by Indigo Girls
"Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson

There are a number of other songs I like purely for the beat and nothing for the lyrics. Sometimes, I think that is just good to have n playlists too.

HikerRD said...

What a great idea and compilation! Here's one I love, called Homemade Religion by Noa http://dropitandeat.blogspot.com/2010/09/4-minute-nurture-diet.html