I am posting this from my phone in the waiting room of the doctor's office, I finally decided to cave in and come in to get looked at. I kept telling myself it was just soreness that would go away if I ignored it, but that is not happening, apparently. I drove home from my parents' house (about 5 hours) yesterday and really aggravated my wrist dragging all my luggage, etc up to my second floor apartment. Then I was freaking brilliant and decided I just needed to get the muscles warm/stretched out so I proceeded to do my cardio DVD for the first time since before my research trip. I have had a lot of painful workouts during my tenure as an obsessive exerciser, I used to have to routinely throw away workout clothes because of bloodstains. But dear god, last night was bad. Why didn't I stop? If I could answer questions like that, my world would be a fundamentally different place, wouldn't it? Plus I had had one of those days where it randomly seemed like a good idea to halve my calories. I told myself I was trying Intuitive Eating, I truly was only hungry for X, but honestly it was an easy excuse to restrict.
Anyway, I await the doctor, expecting to just be given a referral for an X-ray and sent somewhere else, we'll see. I am going to another conference on the opposite side of the country on Sunday, I don't have time to be hurt!
5 comments:
I so hope there is not break and they can fix it for you quick. Good luck on the trip. Stay sane at the airport.
And oh yeah, EAT SOMETHING! You deserve it!
Cammy, I know you want to do all your exercise, and you feel like you have to, but right now you don't have a choice but to rest. If you want to get back to a place where you're able to do the exercise you want to, you have to let your body heal right now - that means resting. I am having knee issues and it makes running impossible (my leg just buckles), and I hate it, but I'm making myself walk - and walk less. Keep your long term goal in mind. I assume, in your list of long term goals, you have that you want to be able to stay active as you age. In order to do that, you have to respect when your body needs a break. I know it's not what you want to do, but, honestly, it doesn't matter that you don't want to do it. You have to rest anyway. I'm guessing you'll probably worry about the calories and about getting fat if you change the amount you burn - trust me, I've been there. Thing is, your body really can handle itself and you really can take some days off of exercising (or at least ease up a bit without your body noticing). And, to be honest, even if you were to gain a smidge of weight (which I really don't think would be the case), aren' you supposed to gain the weight anyway? ;)
I hope the doctor can help you and you can heal quickly!
I hope your appointment went ok! Please update us soon... It's scary to realize how much power the exercise can have. Our bodies try so hard to tell us to rest, but we are stubborn suckers. Maybe the doctor appointment will give you some perspective on what your body needs right now.
As for halving the calories while "intuitively eating," I understand this all too well, which is why I say that intuitive eating is not really a part of my life right now. Maybe one day, but it's too easy for me to use it as an excuse to cut back.
Good luck!
ack! i've just been catching up on your blog, c. holy moly i hope you are okay? i breathlessly await your update on how you are doing...
xoxo
well, i am glad you are going to the doctor. i avoided the doctor for years. then i thought i had bed bugs so i went...turns out i had shingles! oh, life.
but it just goes to show how we can warp our minds. like how your mind is telling you to restrict even though a few days (or even a few weeks) taking off from exercise is not going to make some extreme change in your weight or appearance. i am SLOWLY learning this lesson with you:) xo.
Post a Comment