Monday, June 15, 2009

Boy Therapy

I was most definitely having a dark period last week, but am starting to pull out of that and see the world through slightly less grimy glasses. A big thing that has helped over the past few days has been spending time with three of my favorite menfolk. (Please don't let this offend any feminist sentiments you may hold, believe me I do not think females need "taking care of" by males, don't get me wrong. My Girl Night session with my friend the other night was actually the biggest booster of the entire week, but I already wrote about that, and it just happens all the people I saw socially this weekend possess Y chromosomes.)

T:
Drove up to visit on Saturday (3 hour trip). Despite trading novel-length emails every day, it has been forever since we actually saw each other. It went really well. He is ultra-attentive (seriously, he is like a human G.; he even followed me to the salad bar at lunch just to talk to me while I got my leafy stuff, even though he wasn't getting anything), so after having a stressful couple of weeks it was nice to just get to be the princess for a day. We had lunch, came back to my place to talk, half-watch Gran Torino, talk, play some cribbage, talk. Then we got coffee and went for a walk, talk talk talked...I know he wanted to stay longer, but as much as I like him the ED is still stronger than my feelings for him, I'm afraid...so he was sort of kicked out in time for me to stick to normal evening/night rituals. Baby steps. He wants to plan a weekend trip to the beach sometime soon, that will be a good chance to challenge myself.

J:
I drove to see him yesterday (3 hour trip). It was SO nice to spend time with him! Even though I had never been to his new city before, it felt like coming home just because he was there. I got to see his new place, then we walked around the historic district in his town and had lunch. He gave me the tour around campus, showed me his new office, etc, etc, then we went to a botanical garden and walked around talking. It's interesting how different my feelings were about seeing him vs T. With T. it was an excited kind of good, with J. just a platonic, comfortable kind of good, and both did wonders for my mood. J. had helpful advice about the T. situation, it was nice to have a male perspective. Also, I think that heating things up with T. has helped me to resolve any confusion about what I feel for J., because it is much, much different.

Brother:
My brother absolutely cracks me up, I had some hilarious text conversations with him this weekend. He is so freaking intelligent, and kids in our family speak Facetious before they speak English, so once we get going in a back-and-forth it is quite entertaining.

All the things that had me so worried/stressed are still there, but the mental bruises from the initial blows are starting to heal. I know I need to just put on my big girl panties and Deal, and remind myself of all the things that I still have to be thankful for.

10 comments:

ola said...

I'm glad you had such a step-forward-ish weekend after tough week:) And I hope your brother is doing well!

Book Nerd said...

I had a dark period last week too. Found your blog and think it's great. Very motivating.

Amy said...

I, too, am glad that things are looking brighter.

Carrie Arnold said...

Miss Cammy,

I'm glad you got a nice healthy dose of Y chromosomes. I remember when you and T were a couple, all those years ago, and I'm happy you've reconnected, whatever comes of it.

And I saw this link today and immediately thought of you: Anorexic Tortoise Goes Walkabout The article didn't say whether this was an awkward turtle, but still... :)

Kim said...

Ah, you seem much happier :) That makes me happy! Boys can be very comforting sometimes :)

now.is.now said...

How fun! It's so great that you're staying socially connected.

lisalisa said...

I think that men are like dogs (in a good way!). I mean most of them are so straightforward and honest with their emotions. Being around them can be very balancing and refreshing!

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I'm glad things are a little better. I think nice guys can be more comfortable to be around than girls sometimes. They eat unabashedly and truly don't understand why we don't think we're beautiful. How refreshing.

Kim said...

Hey, got your comment on my blog... I always find it's easier to just comment back on your blog. Then I know you got it :) I have read "What is the What" and I LOVED it. I'm obsessed with Dave Eggers :) :)

Marilla said...

sometimes, a boy is just what a girl needs to be around. I've got a wonderful one who I'm not dating (I wish...) and, he really makes a big difference. as Sarah said--they don't understand why we don't think we're beautiful--lucky us, to be thought beautiful, huh? I've gotten to the point with Boy that I just say thank you when he tells me that I'm cute/pretty/hot/beautiful, etc, because we both know I don't believe him!