Thursday, November 13, 2008

"It's Not About the Bagel."

J. and I share a rather acerbic sense of humor, but we rarely get in real actual arguments.  Today we did, and it gave me a lot to think about.  Sometimes I really think this boy is going into the wrong field, he'd make an excellent psychologist.  

The whole thing started as we were leaving our early class this morning, and he tried to convince me to come to a cafe with him for breakfast.  I had one hour before my appt with H., and I'd already packed a breakfast to eat before heading over there.  I am still weird about eating in front of people sometimes, even J., and I just wanted to go to the internet cafe in the library to sit in the corner and eat my pre-determined meal all by myself.  It's not that I didn't want the calories of going out with him, or that I have anything against bagels (I am fine with eating them on my own terms) it's just that I'd already planned what I was going to have, and I don't do spontaneity or sudden changes of plans very well.  

I couldn't explain all that to him, though, so I just told him no, I had an appt later and had to send some important e-mails before that.  He was persistent, though.  Getting in arguments bothers me in the first place, but knowing that the subject of the disagreement is something as petty as a breakfast pastry really pisses me off at myself.

J: Come on, please?
C: No. I have to send those e-mails, I won't have another free hour for the rest of the day.
J: It won't take that long, you have time.
C: No, I don't. I can't.
J: It's just a bagel, C, come on.
C: Friends don't let friends do refined carbs.
J: Ha, cut it out, let's go to Einstein's, my treat.  A bagel is not going to hurt you.
C: [glare] J, no. Period.  I have to go.  Buy yourself an extra bagel and eat it for me.
J: [double glare] It's not about the bagel, C., it's about you loosening the hell up and living once in a while.

I really couldn't argue with that, so I just walked away.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Ouchie. I've avoided going out for meals - even with my own J - because I didn't want to mess up my plan or eat in front of people. That "loosening up" thing is harder than it seems to other people. Good luck, and I hope he understands.

Kristina said...

Ouch, indeed.
It sounds as thought he did get to the quick of it. I don't think that either of you were necessarily 'right' or 'wrong'. I know that at times, I do need to create certain boundaries, and maybe they seem rigid to me or others, but it's a way of taking care of myself sometimes.

CG said...

I think you should have run after him, jumped on him, and planted a big smooch on his lips. "how about this for opening up??" : )

Lisa and Jim said...

I second cookiegirl's advice!

Cammy said...

Funny, that strategy didn't occur to me, I'll keep it in mind for next time. ;)