Friday, March 30, 2012

Photo Op

A friend of mine has started to get into semi-professional photography as a way to make extra money, and he asked me if I would pose for him next weekend (he is really desperate for material, this is not at all a measure of my perceived level of attractiveness. He also asked if he could shoot G.). He wants to get some practice in different lighting situations, and apparently I am pale enough to serve as a "challenge" subject for him.  The basic barter would be he gets practice, possibly some portfolio pieces, and I get the service and a disc of photos for free.

My initial reaction was NO, of course.  I've never, ever, never been comfortable in front of a camera--except for occasions when Match talked me into posing for him, because he makes it fun and sweet.

 But after thinking it over a bit, it seems like it could be something sort of fun and out of character for me to try. I am rarely pleased with images of myself, actually, but have come to have a new appreciation for the value of photographs since I've been in a long-distance relationship.  Match and I see each other in person so little, that it really helps to have plenty of pictures of each other available.  I was thinking this might make a nice birthday present for him. 

Last summer Match and I did a similar type of thing with a friend of his that is a photographer, but that was different because we were posing together, and I didn't feel quite so much in the spotlight. Plus, he tells me jokes and complements the whole time and keeps me pretty relaxed.

I don't know this guy (the photographer) incredibly well, but well enough to know that although he has some pretty sexy photos in his portofolio (along with a lot of classic sets), I am sure that he's not a predator, and will do his best to make me comfortable and keep a sense of humor during the whole thing.

Of course, it immediately crossed my mind that I should pick up my running and scale back my food this week so that I'll look nice and taut for the photos next weekend.  Hello, ED, I see you are still participating in the Occupy Cammy movement. Wonderful.

Honestly, though, I was able to consider that EDish message for a few minutes and then take a step back and give myself a reality check.  If this is mostly for Match's consumption anyway, he knows what my body looks like in most situations, so it's not like I'd be fooling him if I tried to change it somehow.  He's also said he actually preferred my shape at a higher weight.  To that end, I think my perception of what actually makes a body attractive has shifted in a more healthy direction than it used to, and I can see that thinner and tauter isn't always better, and sometimes you end up putting yourself through hell just to end up looking *worse*.  I can think of more than a few occasions, when I was farther into the ED, when I would spend weeks buckling down on myself for a big event when I was going to be photographed, only to end up so exhausted and worn out and fragile feeling on the event day that I didn't have a good time and wasn't all that entertaining to be around. I'm done with that bullshit now.

I think I'm going to go for it and try to use it as an opportunity to appreciate my body for what it is. Worst case scenario, I hate the pictures and never show them to anyone.  Best case scenario, I have fun, maybe get a little confidence boost and have a personal present for Match. 

Girly question: those of you that either know what I look like or have experience with photography and such, what should I wear???  We'll probably be doing both outdoor and indoor shots.

4 comments:

Alie said...

I think it's awesome that you're going for it! It seems like a really great step forward in recovery--to notice some ED thoughts, and then just push forward without acting on them. I'm sure the pictures will turn out beautifully, and I hope you have some fun with it at the same time! Plus, I'm sure Match will appreciate the pics as well. As for wardrobe, all I can suggest is something that you're comfortable in, just so that you're not feeling worried about that during the photo shoot. I'm sure you'll look great in whatever you choose!

Unknown said...

I think it's awesome, too (and so will match)! Solid colors and simple lines are good choices for wardrobe ... but I wouldn't wear a color that washes you out, since photog has chosen you for your "pale challenges" :) The best thing about this post is the evolution in your thinking and ability to challenge the ED. I've been reading your blog since you were still at undergrad school, and you are so much better in so many ways ... and I hope you don't take that as a trigger. You're more flexible, relaxed, seem happier, just more holistic and more grounded in yourself. I've really seen you grow in identity, confidence, risk-taking, trust, and sociability. It's just great to see and offers hope to others struggling with an eating disorder. I hope you enjoy your shoot and get some great memories!

brie said...

"I'm done with that bullshit now."

Whooooooo!! GO CAMMY!!!

Whatever you wear, you will look beautiful. EVEN if it's socks with your Tevas. ;)

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

HAHAHA! if your photographer needs another pale subject, you know who to recommend! My little bro (7th grade) was visiting this weekend and said "Sarah, if you live in FLORIDA, why are you so pale?" Touche!

Anyway, I think solid colors and something that fits well is your best bet. I'd stay away from an empire waist or anything that pulls too taut at the chest (both will look unflattering on camera.) Also, I agree with unknown--don't wear pale colors. And DO wear a little makeup! I wore soft pink in my senior photos and very little makeup, and still regret how horrifically washed out I look!

That's so nice of you to help out your friend. Just don't accept any champagne--it may become a boudoir session before you realize what's happening. Although you could give worse gifts to a boyfriend ;) And on that mildly creepy note, I end!