There was one thing, though, that really caused some tension and some of the only conflict on our last visit.
His eating.
Are you surprised? Ha...okay so first of all, his diet is AWFUL. Not just from my eating disordered perspective, I swear. If you gave a carnivorous 4 year old with a raging sweet tooth complete control over his food intake, it would look like Match's. Truth.
It's not how much he eats, but that it's all extremely unhealthy things, highly processed soaring in sugar and fat and with no fiber, NO fruits/vegetables or anything he might even suspect of having a chloroplast at any stage of its life. I started to list some examples but was afraid it would get triggering, so I took those out. I'm not against junk food, and definitely do consume it myself. But the issue isn't that he eats snack foods or superheavy meals, it's that that is ALL he eats. D. has actually noted that he would probably benefit from a nutritionist more than me at this stage. So anyway, that's a small piece of background.
He is very athletic, though, which is probably one reason that he has always felt a license to eat whatever he wants (again, the key isn't how much he eats, but that he "wants" only crappy things. When we first started dating I'd get stressed that he didn't always eat a ton on dates and I hated being the only one to finish my plate, even though it was salad). Since he started grad school, he hasn't been able to play sports as much as he did in college--he went from playing about 5 days a week to about 3 times a month. So he's gained weight, but not an extreme amount, and if he were actually exercising and eating fine, he'd be perfectly healthy at his new higher weight.
That's another thing, though: he refuses to work out. He will play competitive sports for hours, but won't spend 15 minutes running or lifting weights, because it's "pointless."
And high blood pressure runs in his family. He actually already has high blood pressure, and did even back when we first met when he was thinner. We checked our blood pressure at the Target pharmacy just on a whim, and the basic results were that the machine wondered if I was alive, and told him he was lucky that he was alive, LOL. And his dad was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I'm glad he hasn't gotten 23andme, because I'm sure I'd lose sleep over the results.
Okay so that is my whining/complaining about Match's health habits. The key is that I care about him a lot, and truly worry about his health. I'm still attracted to him, we still do active things together, etc, so this really is more than vanity. I know it's not my job to police his health, but I've invested over 2 1/2 years of my life in him at this point and hope to enjoy him in the future. I worry.
I actually go out of my way NOT to nag him about his diet. Partly because I don't want to be that girlfriend, and partly because I think it has a chance of being blown off as my ED talking.
But sometimes keeping my mouth shut about it backfires. On this trip, there were a few times that I was so stressed/unhappy about what he was eating that I got really tense, which he immediately picked up on, and it created discord without him even knowing what was going on. Which doesn't seem fair. I hate that I let it get to me. But I also hate that he doesn't see how unsmart his habits are, even though he's a super intelligent guy.
REALITY CHECK: Does the "how can this smart person do such dumb things to their health" lament ring any bells? Of course, I have thought it about every ED friend I've ever had. I'm sure my loved ones have thought it about me. So just for the record, I see the analogy here and accept that it's a valid criticism of this entire post. Match has had to watch me do things that are patently eating disordered, not in my best interest, and go along with a trend of behaviors that very well could--and may very well already have, to some degree--shorten my life. So here I am, whining about being put in a position that is really just the reciprocal of what I've put him through. Sucks all around, I suppose.
Now that we're on ED issues: I DO tend to take on vicarious guilt about what others are eating. Back in the very early days of my ED, my mom was overweight (she isn't now). I would see her eating what I thought was too much or the wrong type of food, and I would get so stressed about it that my mind would twist the stress into clamping down harder on my own food intake. (DISCLAIMER: I am NOT blaming my mother for my ED in any way, shape, or form. I was already getting disordered at that point and it was just one of many, many contributing factors, and I from what I know about myself I don't think it shifted my own ultimate trajectory). That hasn't been an issue for a long time, but I definitely felt myself shifting into that mode during the last Match visit. Overall I did fine with food, but I was really, really working hard at not restricting because I was stressed about his intake, and it made me tense and cranky a few times.
Anyhow, I've talked about this with both D. and T., and they both validated that his diet is a concern, but emphasized that I can't feel responsible for it, and need to do my best to not let it overshadow other things. It's okay to make an occasional suggestion or comment without it being nagging or critical, but otherwise he is a grown-up and is going to do what he wants to do. And the issue isn't dominating our interactions, but it did cause a couple of unnecessary spats.
And I really, really get disgusted with myself for letting that take over my thoughts/mood about him at times, when there are so many other things I could be thinking about. Like how he makes the bed while I'm in the bathroom doing my make-up every morning. Like how he was such a patient teacher when he was helping me with the statistics for my thesis. Like how he gave me an incredibly sweet nickname and uses it daily. Like how he makes a point of pulling my toast out of the toaster for me because he knows I have burn-phobia. Like how he still wants to hold my hand while we argue. Like how he thinks I'm sexy first thing in the morning when my ensemble consists of one of his old t-shirts, no make up, and messy bed hair. Like how he doesn't complain that I constantly cheat when we play basketball 1 on 1. Like how he learned a sweet song ('You and Me' by Lifehouse) on guitar and sang it to me as a surprise one night. Like how he hides random love notes for me to find after he goes home from a weekend visit. Like how if he notices I have goosebumps while we're watching a movie, he will wordlessly take it upon himself to carefully burrito me up in a blanket, rendering me somewhat immobile but very cozy. Like how tenderly he kisses the ED tattoo on my hip. Like how he texts me photos of himself in the mornings before work to make sure that his tie matches his shirt. Like how he is the only real-life person I can ever talk to completely honestly about my ED stuff. Like all the times that he has reminded me that I will have a Safe Zone with him no matter what else happens.
| A picture, yikes! I'll probably chicken out and take it down soon. |
Makes me pretty ashamed for ever giving a damn about junk food.
This was a long one. I think the more private format makes me a little more honest, and that results in more rambles. Thanks to anyone who read the whole thing. By the way, when I mentioned in the last post that I was disappointed in how much privatizing had affected my pageviews, I was wrong. I was looking at pageviews for individual posts, but it seems now most people are reading from the home page (which is great!), so when I thought I'd had 8 pageviews I'd actually had 82. My bad. You ladies are awesome.
Participatory prompts: Do you ever let a loved one's eating habits affect your own? Have you ever been in a similar situation of worrying about someone's health but being afraid to speak up about it, either because of your ED history or something else? General thoughts/comments?
9 comments:
He sounds like a sweet, and wonderful guy! But I can definitely see how this is stressful and upsetting. I had a similar situation in my family with a family member's poor eating habits, which made me want to restrict more and upset me quite a bit. However, I treated it much like I did when I learned that this person also smokes heavily--she knows the health risks of her behaviors, and ultimately, it's her choice on how she wants to treat her body (just as I have that choice everyday as well). Easy to say, hard to do. The more I told myself that, the easier it was over time to let go my frustrations at her eating and smoking habits.
I was wondering if he's amenable to learning how to prepare things like fruits and vegetables in a way that makes them more palatable, and not taste like they are fresh from the field. That way he's still getting more of a taste he wants, but also the nutrition. It's also easy to "hide" more nutritious food in what seems like junk food, or less healthy food. Just a thought.
Good luck!
I can relate to this. I used to have a MASSIVE problem with what my younger brother ate. He has a terrible diet (like you, I won't mention details in case it is triggering for others) but he eats very unhealthily and consumes pretty much zero fruit and veg. I would get really upset when I saw him eating 'unhealthy' foods and make such a fuss whenever I saw him eating 'too much'. I do feel sorry for him now, I made his life hell for a while! I think my concern was related to the need for control and the fact that before having anorexia I used to eat unhealthily and was unhappy with my relationship with food even then and I didn't want him to experience the same feelings as I had. I also had a bizarre fear of him getting fat, which I can't really explain.
I think it is also partly due to the fact that before I was anorexic I was a bit chubby and my mum would limit the amount of 'treats' I could have, whereas it seemed to me that he could have whatever he wanted, so I ended up resenting her for allowing his poor diet.
The thing is, even if Match ate healthily in front of you, you might be happy about it but you could never control his eating 100% of the time and know that he was definitely always being 'healthy'. It's easier said than done, but when you have your own food issues it's important to focus on yourself and your own eating habits rather than those of others.
Sorry for the rambly comment! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your feelings/frustrations.
This is a really tricky situation. Lately I've stayed as far away from addressing others' eating habits as possible, just because of the "hypocrite" factor, but I also don't have relationship as serious and longterm as you and Match do. So I also understand the conflict about whether or not to say something. I forget if you mentioned this, but have you ever said something to him? And if so, how did he react? On the flip side, how often does he bring up your eating habits? Obviously he doesn't have an ED, but it might put things on equal footing if you could frame the conversation as being about BOTH of you working on healthier habits.
I have sort of a similar situation in reverse with my dad, who is incredibly restrictive with his eating and it is usually more than a little triggering for me. Basically, he goes all day just nibbling but without any substantial meals, and then has a normal/biggish dinner. Not blaming him for the ED in any way, but it makes it really hard for me to stick to the meal plan when I see daddy eating a yogurt and calling it lunch.
Hey C!
I just wanted you to let you know that I read. I think it's great that you're aware and talking about it on here and to others. I actually haven't had this experience, but I can see how others could! I actually have the opposite experience where I feel more tense when everyone around me is eating "healthy" things. My ex-boyfriend ate a diet just like Match's, and actually that made me feel calmer... like it was so nice to watch someone "not care" and "not think" about what they were eating. It made me feel free and not embarrassed to order milkshakes and order dessert at restaurants and stuff. That's how I experienced it, but I wasn't thinking about "health" - so I can see how thinking about "health" might change things...
Take care!
Laura
Hey Cammy!
While it is may be really hard to have enough of an influence on him while you guys are apart, it’s possible that next time he visits, you could cook together, a stir fry or something yummy that’s healthy yet not with an overly aggressive “raw veggies” tone and see if he likes that. Maybe by sharing the time cooking together and then sharing the meal together, you both could benefit. I know that cooking with my fiancée has helped me loosen up and enjoy food more than I ever did alone. Plus, he might be more eagerly inclined to put aside his separate meal if you say you’re up for the challenge of eating whatever it is you both cook up!
Finding new recipes that are fun, maybe even like a pasta with a lot of veggies in the sauce could be a gentle approach to getting him to see that eating healthy can be really delicious. There are easy swaps too-like substituting quinoa for white rice. The situation is, of course, compounded by the fact that YOU will need to be able to eat whatever you guys cook up together, but that’s why I’m hopeful that it could help you both.
If you do need to talk to him about your concerns regarding nutrition and health, I think that you shouldn’t feel guilty about pointing out (nicely) that you’ve come a really long way in getting healthy, for yourself, but also for him. Having high blood pressure and an elevated risk for diabetes or heart disease or stroke can be as bad as having an eating disorder. Plus, the healthier you get, the more this very valid point will be true☺ He sounds like an amazing guy, and while an outright confrontation may not be necessary at the moment, maybe later on down the road if it is, he will probably eat his broccoli if you really want him to, because he clearly loves you enough! Right now, encouraging his love of sports is also a good way to support healthy habits in your man.
Take care!
I completely empathize with your frustrations. My bf eats pretty healthy most of the time, but our eating habits are really different. I suffer from gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying, brought on by several years of over-exercising and not eating enough). It is aggravated by carbs and by eating too late in the day, so I try to eat most of my calories before about 6 pm. He prefers to eat around 8 and tends to eat a lot of bread, pasta, etc. I want to be able to eat meals with him, but it frustrates me to not be able to share food. I worked hard to develop more healthy eating habits and yet still am left feeling like I'm not "normal" because I can't eat a plate of pasta at 8 pm. I don't have any great advice, unfortunately, but I think it's common for people in all sorts of situations to feel frustrated with a partner's different eating habits.
I struggle with my sister (and sometimes my mum) and what they eat. They both binge eat and my sister is very much into sweet food. They both have unhealthy relationships with food. I HAVE bought it up with both of them but I can't push, ultimately they need to do something positive for themselves. I don't like watching them put on so much weight and I worry a lot about their health, but there's not much else I can do right now. At the end of the day, I just try to focus on eating what makes ME feel okay - so sometimes that might be something junk food ish but usually I like savoury type food so I stick to that. I think at the end of the day, I just find it the most difficult when they want me to participate in what they're eating and I don't want to, I don't want to upset them but I also don't want to feel ill from eating something I don't feel like.
xox
Hey C, a tricky situation. I think you're handling it in the best way though - occasionally speaking up, but ultimately letting M make his own food choices, as really, in the end, he's the one who controls that. ( as maddening as that can be!) I think it's great you are also trying to focus on the good stuff about him and your relationship, as you seem to have caught a really awesome guy. (but I'm sure you already knew that. ;)
Does the "how can this smart person do such dumb things to their health" lament ring any bells?
YES!!! I have definitely, definitely experienced this.
I am so fortunate that D eats healthily and exercises (though he tells me frequently: "I'm so glad I married you! I wouldn't take care of myself as well if I didn't. I'm going to live a really long time because of you!" It's cute.)
Part of why he is committed to this is his own personal drive but part of it is was that it was a deal breaker for me if he wasn't! I honestly don't think I could date someone intensely if they were not committed to a healthy lifestyle. They don't have to do it perfectly or want it all the time, but if they didn't take care of themselves at all, I would really wonder if it would work out long-term between us. I want to live a long, healthy life with a partner by my side, and I don't want to be engaged in a constant battle to live the kind of lifestyle that I want to live. I wanted my significant other to want to go to the gym with me or go on walks or hikes and I didn't want to have to trick them into eating veggies like they were a 5 year old.
I have a close friend (no ED history) who broke up with a significant other of 3 years over this...the same story you describe here with the family history of diabetes. She thought he would die early and he was not willing to change his lifestyle at all...now she's marrying a tennis professional who is very committed to a healthy lifestyle and they go to the gym and play sports together. She's happy.
Anyway, I don't think you should break up with Match but I wanted to validate your feelings. I do think it's good that you're talking about this and thinking about this. I remain on Team Match :)
Post a Comment