Sunday, August 21, 2011

Eve Ensler gives a TED Talk

If any of you haven't read Eve Ensler's The Good Body, I found it to be pretty eye-opening and empowering.  It offers acknowledgment/commiseration about all of the pressures on women for their bodies to conform to an impossible ideal, and offers encouragement about actually being able to accept and appreciate your body for what it is.

The video below really touches on how our dissatisfaction with our bodies can symbolize so much more than just ab envy.  I especially liked this one because I have a high interest in international development issues, and the Congo crisis is discussed.  Yes, she can be a bit dramatic, but considering her subject material...

Eve Ensler gives a TED talk:




Also, if you ever have a chance to see The Vagina Monologues on stage, I HIGHLY recommend it (Match actually saw it with me one time, he's a good sport).  See it again and again; there are tons of skits to choose from for a given theater company to perform, so no two productions of it are the same.  Again, very empowering.

1 comment:

HikerRD said...

I made reference to another clip of hers--quite a short one--on beauty and body image, also from Africa
http://dropitandeat.blogspot.com/2011/06/are-you-pretty-appreciating-your-body.html. There's another great you tube link on it too!