Saturday, December 20, 2008

Car-tharsis

I'm headed "home" for the holidays tomorrow.  I use quotes because I've never actually lived in the house that my parents live in now, or in the state, for that matter.  I am very close to my family, especially my mom, and I only see them once or twice a year, so I'm really looking forward to spending time with them over the next week.  I've actually given almost no thought to Christmas itself, I'm just looking forward to time with the family.  Yes, it sounds corny, but 'tis true.  

One thing I'm not so thrilled about is the 12+ hour drive.  In some ways, at least.  I hate dealing with traffic (I have to drive through several of the biggest cities in my region), with boredom, with knowing that a lot of my valuables (my computer, camera, phone, various other items that I cannot afford to replace, and most of all my precious G.) are in one rather precarious place.  Talk about having all your eggs in one basket, try putting them all in a combustion-powered machine hurtling across the landscape at 75 miles an hour with just a few inches of rubber away from the asphalt, with similar machines under the control of humans of questionable character and/or competency all vying for position on the road . . . I'm not phobic of driving my any means, but an entire day of this does tend to create twinges of worry.

The main thing I hate about car trips,  of course, is being sedentary for the entire day.  I've talked about my exercise issues before, so this probably doesn't require further explanation.

BUT, those issues aside, I actually do tend to enjoy car trips.  When I am driving, I don't have the option to do anything except pretty much existing.  I never get to just "be" in real life.  No matter how dedicated and self-disciplined I am, when I am driving I literally cannot study, enter data for my honors thesis, send organization-related e-mail, do writing assignments, clean, work out, do volunteer work, or anything of the other million things that usually fill my time.  I have all of my productivity options taken away, and I can just sit and listen to music and audiobooks, or just let my mind wander.  Hours and hours of just thinking time.  That is a luxury I never allow myself in normal circumstances.  I mean, I think all day long, obviously, I'm a full-time student, but Study Thinking and Introspective Thinking are two very different animals.  I find myself contemplating issues, memories, and general thoughts that I normally would not have had the time or energy to deal with.  It's funny how being trapped in a vehicle for hours can be so cathartic sometimes.

It's also kind of freeing to be on the road.  I spend each day entrenched in routines and responsibilities, and every once in a while it's nice to be reminded that I can indeed just hop in my vehicle and go, leaving my usual life behind for a while.  I am nervous about the break in routine, but the rays of liberation that shine through the anxiety are a reward that I don't let myself take for granted.

(Image credit)


3 comments:

Lisa and Jim said...

I like car trips too (aside from the sedentary-stress). Being a passenger is even better, because I can look out the window and contemplate the scenery.

Hope you have a safe, relaxing trip and happy holidays.

Carrie Arnold said...

I love driving down country roads, and I think part of it has to do with the fact that I'm not multi-tasking (I don't use the cell phone while driving because I don't feel safe). I have the music cranked up, the windows down unless the weather sucks, and it's fantastic.

My problem is that I live in the city and I hate city driving!

Safe travels, Cammy.

T.S.T. said...

For several years, I had to make multiple cross-country road trips by myself several times a year. On my best trips, I felt almost like I was able to reach some sort of Zen meditative state while driving those long stretches. However, on my worst trips (or moments therein), I experienced some serious anxiety, especially ED-related anxiety. Here's hoping your Holiday driving is of the former type!