Monday, October 5, 2015

Prelim Time

I'm starting my doctoral prelim exams in 3 hours -- I'll have 7 days to do the writtens (5 questions, 30 page limit not including refs/figures), then two weeks after that I'll do a three hour oral session with my whole committee. Then I find out if I pass or not. I'm anxious in an antsy way but not an upset way right now. Yesterday my adviser suddenly changed the plan for when I'd recieve the questions today, which ripped open the little seam of stress I'd been struggling to keep closed. Cue crying meltdown that had even Match at a loss for what to do/say.

Now that I know when I will actually get the exam questions and things are concrete things seem okay again. I'm just so ready to get this over with. I think the emotional flare-up yesterday really wore me out; I wish I was starting this thing less tired but oh well.

I worked hard this weekend to keep myself busy and not stress-spiral (again, aside from that little meltdown yesterday afternoon). I hung out with friends until around midnight both Saturday and Sunday evenings, and that was exactly what I needed. (Did you know Cards Against Humanity has a science expansion pack? "David Attenborough watching us mating." The possibilities are endless). I didn't catch up on sleep like I probably should have, but I think the decompression time was worth it.

 I'm going to try to be careful to pace myself, but am not sure if I'll have energy for an update while in the throes of the writtens, so if not, love y'all and take care.


No comments: