Friday, May 15, 2015

Post-Vacation Update and Other News

The good news: Last weekend's vacation was absolutely fantastic. The place was gorgeous, the wildlife was abundant and fascinating, and it was SO nice to just turn off "work mode" and enjoy Research Country for a few days. I know it may sound silly to take a vacation like that when I work on wildlife conservancies every day, but "work" is the important part of that fact. This trip was an awesome change of pace.

And truly, I kicked ass with food. I ate ad libitum. If I really liked something, I let myself have seconds. I had forgotten what it felt like to be really full and not in energy deficit. I managed to get a good amount of activity in but it was definitely a break for my body given my normal exercise routine.

The bad news: The guilt over all of that has led me to really double down on the same restrictive regime since I've been back. I don't know why I feel like if I gain any weight back at all before I fly home, no one will believe what a hard time I've had here. "Here" being in my brain, I guess? I know it doesn't make sense. I know most people don't even really notice a few pounds here or there, especially under clothes. But if making sense was what mattered my life would have been on a much different trajectory for all these years.

The better news: Remember H., my superstar therapist from undergrad years? The one who I truly believe helped to save my life back then? Well, I reached out to her a couple of weeks ago and she agreed to do Skype therapy sessions with me; had my first one this past week. It is SO nice to have her to talk to again. Since I've worked with her I've seen two other therapists and fired both of them, and had one dietitian sort of fire me. I'm not easy, it seems. But she seems to have just the right approach for me and is just really damn good. So that's happening.

Thanks to those who sent support to me about my trip. Take care and treat yourselves kindly, love y'all.

1 comment:

Laura said...

CAmmy!!!! I just checked your blog and realized you've been posting! omg - now I have so much to catch up on! About to do some reading, my friend!! Love, Laura