Saturday, February 28, 2015

Excavation of the Mind

So, when I'm not doing great ED-wise I start to see significance/applicability in seemingly unrelated places. This passage from a (not very good) book today really stuck out to me in terms of being a metaphor for the slippery slope of relapse: 

"I remember halting before I turned the corner where again lay the Crawler, still busy and incomprehensible in its task. Unsure if I could endure the excavation of my mind once more. Unsure if I would go mad from the sensation of drowning this time, no matter how much reason told me it was an illusion. But also knowing that the weaker I became, the more my mind would betray me. Soon it would be easy to retreat into the shadows, to become some shell haunting the lower steps. I might never have more strength or resolve to summon than in that moment."

-Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer

No comments: