Moving day! I have left that city behind FOREVER. It feels so liberating, I can't even articulate it.
In preparation for a nomadic life over the summer and a very long-distance move in the fall, I drastically, dramatically, ruthlessly downsized my belongs so that my household fit into two carloads of stuff (I took one now, the other is in storage and my mom will come get it for me while I'm overseas next month).
I have to admit, getting rid of it all actually felt very freeing. I like being mobile and self-sufficient, and I felt like it all facilitated that. Plus I figured my karma might need some boosting, so it felt good to donate stuff (I actually think the Goodwill people got tired of seeing me).
Guess what did NOT move with me?
This dude:
This will be my first time scale-less (well, excluding fieldwork sessions) in years and years. I am a little freaked out because sometimes I think weighing in has a grounding effect on me by showing me that I'm not necessarily heavier on Fat Days. But D. really pushed on the importance of killing the daily weigh-ins, and I felt like now was as good a time as ever to dump the scale. It probably would have gotten all uncalibrated in the move anyway.
I did a ton of thinking on my 6 hour drive today, and I want so badly to start a fresh page when I get to PhD city in the fall, to leave a lot of the old habits and routines behind in the dust with that scale. Easier said than done, but I really want to give it a shot.

6 comments:
Wow. What a HUGE step. Getting rid of the scale is scary, but I also believe its incredibly liberating, too. Enjoy your newfound freedom!!
WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Congrats on ditching the scale! You're right, that guy didn't need to go with you, and now it'll be a great chance for that fresh start! I'm super impressed that you were able to down-size your stuff, and also see this as an opportunity for growth and new beginnings. Good luck to you, as you say, it might be difficult at times, but I think you're up to the challenge :)
Good for you! I love those "fresh start" opportunities. The upside of moving, I guess. You have a great attitude going into this move and I know you'll work really hard to make your desire to change long engrained habits stick. And you are so right--much easier to do when you are in a new and unfamiliar place.
Congrats on the fresh start!!!
A little late on this but wow so proud of you! I know ditching the scale is a hard thing for you, so yeah to giving it a shot!
Post a Comment